Monday, March 26, 2012

week 11. English in an era of globalization.


     I agree with Freidman that today we enjoy the possibility to stay in our own locale while engaging in a 'globally linked economic and information system' (McKay 1). However, globalization exposed the poor counries' inability to equally engage in various inter cultural interactions due to the lack of technology and poor economy. In addition, a loss of cultural and linguistic diversity took place and is still taking place today. For example, when I studied in High School, we did not focus on the Buryat language as much, but rather the English language was imposed upon us, students. Moreover, the Buryat language was offered only in a few number of schools and was generally regarded as something unnecessary and not useful.However, I regret today that I do not speak my native language because I take pride in my native language as part of who I am. Scholte's interpretation of 'globalization as westernization, or modernization, suggesting the spread of capitalism, industrialism, and bureaucratism' reflects the situation in Russia in the early 90s. After the former USSR collapsed in 1991, the Iron Curtain fell, and Russia was suddenly exposed to Europe and the USA. The English language was and is in great demand in Russia today. Heads were looking in the direction of the West and westernization took minds of the young generations as economic, educational and mass media incentives provided motivation for English learning. Westernization was and is still equalled to being modern and being part of a global order. Thus, I agree with Cabagarajah that 'the local shouln't be of secondary relation to the dominant discourses and institutions from powerful communities' (McKay 2).  I believe that TESOL educators should be aware of the power the English language imposes upon us and how it promotes the desire to join the imagined communities. I think it is important to implement discussions and workshops where ESL/EFL students' can share stories on their culture, language, and literacy. Moreover, I think it is important to make students aware why English is the dominant language today and how it reflects social relations. I wish I read this article when I was in High School as it would have educated me about the political and economical powers of the English language. This would help me realize how dominant the discourse is and that it makes the local be percieved as a subfield while it is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment