Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Racial discrimination still takes place. I believe this topic should be introduced into school education as well as in higher education.Professional racism is the most dangerous form of racism as it is a new form of cultural racism in disguise. Moreover, racism in academic settings is the one that is expected least of all. I believe such cases should be reported as it is the only way to develop democratic learning communities. As TESOL educators, we should be particularly aware of the racialized discources of Islamophobia and Otherization. Other cultural and ethnic groups such as  African-Americans, Asians, and Latinos also may experience Otherization.
I myself experienced otherization when I was in middle school. I lived in Anadyr, the very North of Russia, and chukchi and eskimos were Ohterized and percieved as inferior, less intelligent, and not neat in appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment