Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 5. Otherization.

Oriental is a subjugated element as opposed to European identity. While 'Orient' is perceived as uncivilised and irrational, 'Occident' is reserved, logical, and rational. Orientalism by Said indeed remains one of the most influential and controversial works when speaking of 'otherization'. It is well-known that Said's work is about the discources of the Western colonisers by which the colonised nations and its people of the East are framed. In this respect, the question of power is the central matter here, and the assertion of self-identity is involved.
I have heard that it is difficult for a Japanese to say "I", and that he or she would avoid direct projection on himself/herself. Moreover, one person in class has told me and other students that it is hard to get 'yes' or 'no' answer from a Japanese. Having not read or encountered with Japanese people a whole lot in my life, I have not thought really anything like that about them. A friend of mine told me that Japanese are very closed and isolated , and that they do not let outsiders in their discourse no matter how long one has lived in their country. My friend admitted it was hard for her to live in Japan for 10 years. However, as it is explained by Sugimoto, who foriengers mainly interact with are core sub-cultural groups which are ideologically dominant and possess that ideological capital. Disinterest in seeking outside information and confirmation to Japan's multiculturalism by writers and editors of publications add to the slanted views on Japan in a unidimentional way. In addition, intercultural training propagate stereotypes and promote otherization.
I loved images of the other by Benetton. I do not find them perilous in terms of invoking crude racist images and associations as there is nothing subservient in the image. Rather I see it as a type of imagery that represents human diversity and trunscultural unity. I believe I've seen similar images on ets.org-- there was an image of an African American man, a white lady, and an Asian man speaking with each other, all dressed professionally, and representing by their independent and mutually respectful behavior a transnational ethos that fits in the global market.
However, I think that the notion of Other unfortunately is still persistent and conditioned by the power of the West in economy, military, and technology.  As a TESOL educator, I think it is important to remember that foreign students may feel like 'others' and not really be able to understand this feeling of otherness as they are not being mentally or physicallly opressed but still they feel they do not fit in/ they do not fully belong to the new community.  They realize that they need to relearn new skills and  new values in order to fit in. It is very important to introduce students to these values while letting them express their own for mutual exchange.

Cultural Assimilation and its illusions.
I understand and concur with Zangwill about that nature will return and cultural assimilation is delusional. It is impossible to shed your past identity as this is who I am. This is what happened to me. When I came here I tried to assimilate the new culture I was living in but soon I realized that I am not comfortable with myself. I found that it makes me feel in my skin when I keep in touch with my ethnic roots and when I continue to harbor my ethnic consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment